When will the next phase of the Atlanta Beltline be finished?

Beltline News Logo

 

 

For decades past and decades to come the Atlanta Beltline Trail will continue to be one of the most discussed projects in our beautiful city.  While this project has no specific completion date the success of implementation thus far can hardly be ignored.  That is why Red Robin Group is dedicating a news-feed so that our readers can find the most up-to-date information about the Belt-line right here!  

The Eastside trail and the Historic Fourth Ward are rumored to be on schedule for completion, although the finish date of this portion has not yet been released.  There has been much activity over recent weeks with delivery of building materials, concrete and dirt.  There have also been partially built walkways, trees and framework that have begun appearing between the Two Urban Licks restaurant on the North Avenue part of the beltline all the way to the Georgia Power site.  The work initially began on this portion earlier this year however the sporadic work flow has peaked the interest of many and has become an annoyance to those that are impatient.  With a mild spring and a dry start to the summer, beltline enthusiasts are beginning to wonder when they can start enjoying the next phase of the project. 

Stay tuned for our next beltline article. 

beltline-history logo

 

 

The first development of the Atlanta BeltLine began when the Atlanta & West Point Railroad began building a five-mile  connecting rail line from its northern terminus location in Oakland City to Hulsey Yard on the Georgia Railroad ( the southeast quarter of the completed BeltLine). The surveys were done and initial construction had begun when the courts ordered a halt of further construction in May 1899.  The courts argued that the beltine work did not fall under the Atlanta & West Point Railroads Charter rules.               

 In September of 1889 a more ambitious charter for an Atlanta Belt Railway Company was announced that would circle the entire city connecting all rail lines so that freight car transfers could occur on the outskirts rather than in downtown Atlanta.  The initial charter was to encompass no more than 30 miles and named only perimeter points Howell and Clifton Stations.  Since Clifton Station was located in DeKalb County both it and Fulton County were named in the charter. After surveys of the route and right of way acquisitions, the DeKalb portion was ditched leaving the entire route in Fulton County. The entire line was completed by 1902.

posted: Jun 11, 2014 | No Responses

Posted by:  Krish Dhokia

Share. Let your friends weigh in on this one...